Degenerative eye conditions such as Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Stargardt’s disease, and Retinitis Pigmentosa can be caused by many factors, such as genetic predisposition, overuse, poor circulation, and metabolic disorders. Many holistic and Traditional Chinese Medicine modalities exist to help restore function and health, however, this requires educating oneself, a willingness to learn and apply principles of lifestyle change, and dedication. Preventing damage is very important to keep optimum eye health.
Traditional Chinese Medicine views the body as a whole, and takes into account the internal and external factors that may lead to its disharmony and imbalance. Finding the root of the problem and correcting dysfunction by balancing organs and restoring circulation, helps the body to promote self-healing and move toward balance.
Below are some simple ways you can achieve healthier vision.
- Eat Right. Try to eat organic fruits and vegetables, especially carrots, kale, spinach, or collard greens. Use healthy fats such as coconut or pure olive oils, fish, eggs, avocado, nuts (pistachios), legumes, seeds, and whole grains. Reduce or eliminate refined sugar, salt, white flour, fast foods. Fruits high in Vitamin C (oranges, berries, grapefruit) help reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. Shoot for a high alkaline diet.
- Rest the eyes. Take breaks from computer screens. Use the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes look 20 feet away from your computer for 20 seconds. Rub palms together and place over eyes for about 1 minute.
- Quit smoking. Avoid pollutants. These expose your eyes to high levels of oxidative stress, which damage blood vessels so the eyes no longer get the nutrients they need, besides increasing your overall health risk.
- Decrease or eliminate stress. Stress accelerates vision loss, and impairs recovery and regeneration, besides affecting overall brain & neurological functioning. Reduce stimulants such as caffeine.
- Get regular check-ups and know your history. Many eye problems can be genetic.
- Get acupuncture. A number of studies have shown acupuncture to have positive effects on people with eye disease, such as glaucoma, cataracts, dry eyes, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, optic neuritis, optic atrophy.
Call Pointz today to learn about our Acupuncture Vision Loss program!